Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Dress Rehearsals

I woke up Saturday morning to a sweet four year old stroking my face.  How blessed I felt in that little snapshot of time.  Even in the most ordinary of moments, I find myself hoping she’ll remember times like this.  At four, my little girl is going through a "I am going to dress myself " stage.   Clothes are often everywhere. Her ensembles can be quite original. She has little regard for season, print, color or theme.  At times, I can only go in her room for very short intervals. I know as soon as I sort, fold and put everything she owns back in the right place I'll walk right back into the same mess again. I figure if I don't look at it too much, I have a better chance of pretending it isn't there waiting on me.  I know that is every Mom's survival creed all too often.  Last night she went upstairs to change into pajamas.  She reappeared in a corduroy leopard print skirt and a pink GUESS T-shirt.  She happily announced she was expanding her pajama wardrobe. This didn’t phase me in the least, until she decided to wear her get-up on an outing with her daddy.   I received the most beautiful card when Hallen was  “brand spankin’” new in this world from my mother.  I held on to it because it left such an impression on me. Fast forward to now, and I can’t believe my very own daughter was the inspiration behind this sentiment.  (I have a feeling, if you have a daughter, yours did too. )
                 She will dream her very own dreams
                 Maybe she will look like you,
                 Talk like you, smile like you…
                 Maybe she’ll sing, paint, or dance like you…
                 But she’ll dream her very own dreams.
                 You’ve given your child so much already-
                 Including the precious gift of life.
                 And through the years, you will give her so much
                 more-
                 Not just food and clothing but laughter, ideals,
                 and love.
                 You cannot give her her dreams, though,
                 for those will be hers alone.
                 May they lead her to all that is beautiful in life,
                  And with your loving help and support,
                  May she make every one come true.
It was signed with this note: I thank God everyday for my precious daughters and grandchildren. I cannot begin to say how much I love you and how proud you make me.  God has blessed us far beyond our dreams.   Nona (my mother)

The inspirations behind this post

So in honor of my mother and the many other wonderful mothers I know, I dedicate this post.  Please remember, if you see my child in one of her “get-ups” she does have a momma at home who loves her very much.  I’m trying not to get in her way too much. Who knew dress rehearsals could be this much fun;)


No comments:

Post a Comment