Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Period. For. Emphasis

A friend of mine recently posted a similar list on her blog.  She was inspired by magazines in which celebrities report random facts  about themselves.  I was inspired  by her.  So, Virginia Decker, thanks for the inspiration.  Mine didn't get edited down to 25.  I just went with it.    

1. I dog ear pages of books when I read something that tugs on my heart or teaches me something. I double ear, triple ear, and quadruple ear the really good pages. I need to know how many to go back and look for.

2. I cannot tell you the price of gas or check my receipts.
3.  I won’t purchase gas or use the restroom in convenient stores that sell fried chicken. My husband Mike travels on business. He once called me from Kentucky and offered to bring me back some Sushi from a combo gas/sushi station.  Um. That. Was.  No.
5. I prefer takeout to dining out. Room service (especially late night dessert delivery) is heaven on earth.
6. I want to learn to use power tools.
7. I have Recurring dreams. In one, I haven't been to school in forever. I Can't remember my schedule or my locker combination. I’ve read these dreams are about unfinished business. (BTW, I did graduate from high school and college).I have also had the missing teeth dream many times. This dream is supposedly about feeling like you over shared with others. Save the girl raised in the south jokes, please.
8.  I  LOVE reality TV . Two of my all time favorites - Family  Plots and Rollergirls.  Random...I know.
9. I am a compulsive and impulsive DVR"er" .
10.  I'm a tenacious researcher. Love random facts and information.
11. I have a difficult time with left and right. I have no depth perception. Curbs and raised surfaces look out.
12.  I asked Santa for Olivia Newton John style tight satin pants (think Grease finale) for Christmas when I was 5. I didn't get them. :( Santa did however tune up my sister's old bike with a new horn and basket one year .  I’m in tight with Saint Nick.
13. I am angle sensitive. Items in my home and on tabletops have to be angled and placed according to my perception of the correct angle.
14. I am global. I don’t "get" list people. Don't give me yours and don't ask for mine. (interesting given this is a list) I am now considering changing the format to bullets.
15. I am on the perpetual search for the following items: cream horns (the kind from the old Pizitz Bakeshop), home fragrance refresher oil in Ambrosia, and cookie dough premixed to include chocolate chips, coconut and pecans.

16. I searched and hummed a tune from my childhood for years until finally found it on YouTube. Chuck Mangione, “ Feels  So Good” . Until then, I had no idea what I had been humming.
17. I am a Pepper.  So cold it burns your throat kind of pepper. And yes, I have the t shirt.
18. I taught my mother to do the "running man" when I was a teenager.  Witnessed by many. Moms are awesome! I get that now.

19. I go through the ABC's in order when I am trying to remember things.
20. The sounds of trains remind me of being in the "big bed" in my grandparent's house. Little girl in a big world.  Those are good memories.
21. My favorite children's book is The Paper Bag Princess. Close seconds are the Wide Mouthed Frog
and Piggie Pie.   The reader has to get the voices right.  I’m pretty good at Piggie Pie.
22. I am an owl, living in a lark world.
23. My favorite verse is Isaiah 40:31: They will mount up with wings like eagles, they will run
and not get tired, they will walk and not become weary.
24. When I was little, I wanted to marry B.J. McKay From B.J. And the Bear.
25. The character trait I admire most is sincerity.  Second is generosity. I'd like to be more of both.
26. When I write I often include dashes, dots, parentheses... I can't help it (see what I mean). No particular rules for my methods- madness. I like slashes too. Not as in http:// but as in this/that (related words)-Periods.For.Emphasis. Are. Empowering.
27. The acronym for laughing out loud annoys me a little. I can't even bring myself to type it here. I do, however, really like people who use it.
28. I follow a hilarious blog called Catalog Living. A fresh perspective can be hysterical.
29.  I won the citizenship award when I was in first grade. In second grade, Marquita enrolled in my elementary school.  She dethroned me and held the title for the rest of our elementary school years. If you know Marquita, you get it.  She was very deserving.
30. My first valentine from a boy in first grade had I love you written in cursive. I couldn't read it and asked my teacher to tell me what it said. his much older sister wrote it for him. I don't think he knew what it said either.
31. I know some really courageous kids. Life lessons from them- Daily. I wish they didn't have to be-again daily.
32. I love the sticky note application for a computer. Sheer genius.
33. I can share really funny fertility clinic stories. Laughter can coincide with heartbreak. We all have a story to tell. Therein is the goodness of a VERY BIG GOD.
34. My grandmother used to tell me I was pretty and I was smart.  She would follow with don't ever let anyone know how smart you really are.  That was a Lela"ism". I still haven't figured out that piece of advice.  ( My grandmother was a riot . She had no idea either ) I could fill this page with Lela"isms".




1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the little peek into your mind. I share some of your quirks ;o) I would love to feel the freedom that you had to write this. Love, Sharla

    ReplyDelete